In the News


Deadly Convenience: Keyless Cars and Their Carbon Monoxide Toll

Deadly Convenience: Keyless Cars and Their Carbon Monoxide Toll

Weaned from using a key, drivers have left cars running in garages, spewing exhaust into homes. Despite years of deaths, regulatory action has lagged.

- The New York Times
Without having to turn and remove a key to shut off the motor, drivers can be lulled into mistakenly thinking that the car has stopped running.
It seems like a common convenience in a digital age: a car that can be powered on and off with the push of a button, rather than the mechanical turning of a key. But it is a convenience that can have a deadly effect.
On a summer morning last year, Fred Schaub drove his Toyota RAV4 into the garage attached to his Florida home and went into...

What caused FIU’s bridge to fall? More clues come to light.

What caused FIU’s bridge to fall? More clues come to light.

- Miami Herald
If tightening support cables caused Florida International University’s signature new pedestrian bridge to collapse, as Sen. Marco Rubio has suggested in a tweet, the rubble spread across the Tamiami Trail could contain obvious clues, bridge experts say.
Adjusting tension cables, which ran like tendons through the 950-ton concrete span and the struts that connected a concrete canopy on the bridge to the walkway, can be a delicate operation. Over-tightening the cables, which are used...

Police pull Fords from service over carbon monoxide fears

Police pull Fords from service over carbon monoxide fears

Austin, Texas, police pull 37 SUVs from fleet

- CNN
Some police say their Ford Motor SUV police cars are leaking exhaust fumes into their vehicles, causing officers to suffer from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Federal safety officials are looking into the allegations surrounding the Ford Police Interceptor, a version of the Ford Explorer modified for police use. They have yet to open a formal investigation.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has already investigated more than 150 complaints from Ford Explorer owners...

Exploding e-cigs will soon be subject to regulatory oversight

Exploding e-cigs will soon be subject to regulatory oversight

The booming e-cig market has been largely unregulated

- Local 10 WPLG News
As the e-cigarette market grew in popularity, so did calls for oversight and regulation following reports from across the country of e-cigs exploding or catching fire.
From January 2015 to January 2016, scientists from the FDA's Center for Tobacco Products have identified 66 reports of e-cigs overheating, catching fire or exploding.
Dr. Carl Schulman of the University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Burn Center said those numbers are probably only scratching the surface of what has become...

Federal regulators considering safety changes to keyless ignition vehicles

Federal regulators considering safety changes to keyless ignition vehicles

Carbon monoxide poisoning survivor says incidents could have been prevented

- Local 10 WPLG News
Federal regulators are considering safety changes to a popular car feature that has proven deadly in several Florida cases.
Keyless ignition vehicles are increasingly popular and don't require a key to turn off the engine. Critics say drivers often forget to push a button to turn off the vehicle, leading carbon monoxide to flood into the home and kill those inside without warning.
"For many, many years people take their key, they go into their house and they know their car is off,"...

Man Left in Coma After E-Cigarette Explosion Warns: 'These Things Are Deadly'

Man Left in Coma After E-Cigarette Explosion Warns: 'These Things Are Deadly'

- Inside Edition
“These things are deadly,” Evan Spahlinger told INSIDE EDITION. “I thought I was gonna die.”
The 21-year-old, from Naples, Florida, turned to e-cigarettes last year to help him quit smoking. But one day in October, he was struggling to power up the device when it suddenly exploded.
“It went like a pipe bomb,” he said. “My skin was charred. Eyebrows burned off. Eyelashes burned off.”
His sister Eva dialed...

VA responsible for vet's suicide, mother says

VA responsible for vet's suicide, mother says

- USA Today
In the weeks preceding his death, Janos Victor Lutz — "John," as his friends knew him — told VA doctors he was slightly depressed over a breakup with a girlfriend, his ailing service dog and his lack of focus after serving in the Marine Corps.
The Iraq and Afghanistan veteran told his psychiatrist and a therapist at the Broward County (Fla.) VA Outpatient Clinic that he had been suicidal a few weeks prior and had asked his mother to secure his guns and dole out his...

Exclusive: Marine’s Mother Blames VA Doctors For His Death

Exclusive: Marine’s Mother Blames VA Doctors For His Death

- CBS Miami
The family of a decorated marine is saying Veterans Affairs (VA) doctors gave him powerful drugs that he used to take his own life.
Twenty-four year old Marine Lance corporal Johnny Lutz first served in Iraq and then the front lines of Afghanistan.
“Johnny was the life of the party,” said his mother Janine Lutz.
But war changed him. He committed suicide shortly after returning from serving.
“For six months every minute you think you are gonna die...

2011-2014 Ford Explorers may be leaking carbon monoxide inside vehicle, NHTSA probes

2011-2014 Ford Explorers may be leaking carbon monoxide inside vehicle, NHTSA probes

- Tech Times
Angela Knutson is suing Ford after discovering that their 2013 Explorer was leaking unsafe levels of carbon monoxide into the cabin. The couple is attempting to force the manufacturer to issue a recall on all 2011-2013 Ford Explorers.
Knutson's husband, a firefighter with the Sheriff's Office, measured the level of carbon monoxide in the passenger area after a 30 minute drive. The levels registered at 132 parts per million, far above the 100 parts per million considered to be hazardous to...

Coral Springs Family Says Ford Explorer Made Them Sick, Files Lawsuit

Coral Springs Family Says Ford Explorer Made Them Sick, Files Lawsuit

- CBS Miami
A Coral Springs family says their Ford Explorer made them sick.
Angela Sanchez-Knutson and her husband Tim Knutson are suing the Ford Motor Company trying to force the carmaker to recall hundreds of thousands of Explorers.
The Knutson’s bought their 2013 Ford Explorer Limited Edition in 2012.
Immediately they said that they began smelling exhaust every time they accelerated.
“So when you pushed on the accelerator, the exhaust comes right in through the...