Keyless ignition linked to two dozen deaths

by Nile Bijoux, Autocar

A recent report by the New York Times has found more than two dozen people in the US have died from carbon monoxide poisoning after forgetting to turn off their engines, thanks to keyless systems. In total, 28 people died from the issue while 45 others suffered injuries from carbon monoxide exposure.

With no standardised alerts to address keyless vehicles accidentally left running, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has said that it is convinced manufacturers will meet the SAEs recommendations. However, John Uustal, a lawyer involved in two keyless ignition cases, isn’t convinced.

“You can’t trust car corporations to police themselves. There’s no adequate punishment.”

Read the full article on Autocar: https://www.autocar.co.nz/autocar-news-app/keyless-ignition-linked-to-two-dozen-deaths